Saturday, April 16, 2011

To Do Lists



So, I kinda love making to do lists. I make them all the time and they can be seen throughout my condo. I even have a whiteboard full of things that I need to do.... paint this trim, fill out this form, etc. Then there is my homework list, my summer reading lists, my scrapbooking list, lists I have made to try and keep a cleaning schedule (didn't happen), one I randomly write to keep my brain from imploding. I would say that half the time I don't even use them, but it's nice to take two seconds to organize my thoughts.

Yet, how often do we use to do lists to regain a sense of control in our lives? I know I do because I love to have control; I love to know what is going on, what is expected of me, and how the day will play out. I have come to a place in my life where I need to be ok when I don't finish my to do list. My worth as a person is NOT determined by the amount of stuff I get done in a day. I think in a world that teaches you that you are only successful if you achieve a certain amount of things in a certain amount of time, this is a struggle for many people.

It doesn't need to be that way. Ultimately, God is in control. That doesn't need to be scary or disheartening, but a reminder that He knows us so much; our struggles and hurts, triumphs and joys, yet He is always watching over us. We are not alone on a solitary path of life. So maybe it is time that we all let go of the to do lists a little?

But you know what? I am still gunna write things on my to do list that I have already done just so I can cross it off and feel like I have accomplished something. Is that wrong??

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...