Monday, June 6, 2011

Jesus Would Never Have Talked to Me Like That

This weekend I got to hang out with my lovely friend Leslea from Diary of a Revivalist. She and I had an amazing lunch and then met with a friend of hers who is such an inspiration. God surely knew what I needed that day. All I wanted was a chill day with my friends to hang out and maybe even pray for some people. Well, that is certainly what I got.

Les let me read one of her books during some downtime before dinner called The Furious Longing of God Brennan Manning. It was a good book and I would highly recommend it. The one part that has really stuck with me the last two days was a particular story he told. Manning was a priest and while out at a play one night, someone tried to approach him while he was among friends and he snapped at her, accusing her of being rude and telling her to wait until he was finished. Her simple response? Jesus would never have spoken to me like that.


Well, I was blown away by this. And so convicted. First as a Christian and particularly as a Seminary student, I am to always show God's love. Because I am a seminary student people who I have never met, trust me with deeply personal details of their life as they desperately seek guidance from someone who might possibly have some answers. Talk about humbling.

I know for a fact that I do not always talk to people as Jesus would and that is a direct reflection of the fact that I am inwardly not loving them as Jesus would. So I am setting out to love with complete abandon; to do my very best to love and honor people the way that Jesus did. I am challenging all those out there who might be reading (even if it is only two people) to do the same. You will most definitely be shocked at the results love with bring.

picture from here

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...