Sunday, June 19, 2011

Life Lessons: Am I Like A Half Open Car Door?

On Saturday, I was in Gilbert with my friend Leslea and while she was playing ultimate frisbee with some friends (totally not my thing), I decided to go to Lowe's and pick up the paint for my Dad's father's day gift. Recently, the door of his car (I was driving it because it is so much nicer and he was out of town) has been sticking but you just need to give it a good yank and it closes the rest of the way.

After coming out of Lowe's I get in and the door will not close for the life of me!!!!! I try and try but I don't want to pull too hard and break anything. So awkwardly, I call the Lowe's and they send someone out to help me who tells me that he can see that the hinge on the bottom is broken. So he manages to push the door shut with me inside put the door no longer lines up right so while it shut, it doesn't catch. So then I drive back to my friends with one hand holding the door shut and the other steering. It was an experience to say the least.

So I am sitting in Leslea's kitchen on Sunday morning (cause now I am kinda stranded) and thinking about half open/half closed doors. Now, I am not one of those people to project a lot of significant meaning on to things that really aren't that big of a deal, but this did get me thinking "Am I like a half open car door?"

In an ideal world, I would, like a door, be able to walk in my role in the world and there would be no problems or hindrances. But obviously, that is not the case. It is true that sometimes I get stuck and after a little pull or push, I move forward and do what I am supposed to do. Yet, this door stuck open situation is pretty extreme. Am I like a door half open who knows what its function is but is stuck and no matter what kind of prodding can no longer move?

If I had to answer that question right at this moment, I would say that I am not a door stuck half open. God has really been pouring out blessings and revelation in my life lately and I feel like I am walking more fully in His plan for my life than ever before. Yet, there have been times where I am like a door half open and there might be times like that again in the future. The things is that sometimes we don't notice that we are like a broken door, stuck somewhere in between who we are and who are becoming... frozen and inefficient, unsure and confused.

Rectifying this situation is different for many people and is not the point of the post today. The point is to ask ourselves at this moment and periodically through our lives... Am I Like a Half Open Car Door? Am I walking in the fullness that God desires for us? For me personally, asking myself these types of questions is vitally important in my relationship with the Lord. Sometimes you don't notice that you are stuck and sometimes you need a little push.

image found here

1 comment:

  1. Thats a great quote! I'm your newest follower.

    Hilary
    theyoungandthenaive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...